Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Klaus in Taiwain - The Flight

Klaus Varley

What the hell do you do on a 14 hour flight? That's what I wanted to know. And now I DO know. And so will you, if you continue reading.

We left in the afternoon. By "we" I mean "L" and me.

4:50 - Miracle of propelling a multi-ton metal box containing hundreds of people into the air achieved....ie: plane takes off, no one appreciates miracle. Feel a little like Jesus surrounded by disbelievers.

5:30 - L wants to start Year One simultaneously so we laugh at the same time. I anticipate problems with this, but go along.

6:30 - The problems have set in: Year One sucks. Now bored, I nearly turn the movie off. L is more patient. We will watch until the end.

6:59 - Movie paused. :)

7:00 - Food served by ultra-thin, Chinese stewardess in a lime green uniform.

7:01 - Movie resumed. :(

7:15 - Year One ends! Consider joke relating the length of the movie to the title. Save it for the blog.

8:15 - Trays cleared by fast moving Chinese stewardess in lime green uniform.

8:20 - Strange video games discovered on seat screen-console. Connect-4 seems to go by another name. Pong remains the same.

9:30 - Lights out. Only A-holes remain up with their personal lights or TV screens blaring in the eyes of other people. Or at least, that's what the looks of other passengers seem to say.

10:00 - Alright, alright, I'll turn my screen off.

10:02 - Turn screen off and attempt to sleep. Pong sucks anyway.

10:03 - Realize I have to go to the bathroom. Woman in the aisle sleep looks asleep - but is anyone REALLY asleep?

10:20 - Yep, she is.

10:25 - Try to sleep.

1:00 - Notice the woman shuffle. An eye opens. Caught! I'm up.

1:05 - Waiting for bathroom next to a draped off room where a group of Chinese, lime green stewardesses have congregated.

1:08 - Realize they're called "flight attendants," not "stewardesses."

1:09 - Realize I should probably start thinking about what people and things are called in Chinese.

1:10 - Older woman joins me waiting for the bathroom.

1:12 - Realize I don't know how to say, "bathroom" in Chinese.

1:15 - Bathroom opens up. I let the older woman go before me, much to her amazement...and mine.

1:16 - I go to another bathroom. Apparently I chose the only bathroom with a line.

1:20 - Back to seat to attempt to sleep.

1:30 - Drifting into unconsciously, I realize we've been flying over the Pacific Ocean for 9 hours and wonder what they would have thought about this 150 years ago.

1:31 - Fall asleep thinking about time machines.

...

Tune in Thursday for the exciting conclusion of "Klaus in Taiwan - The Flight!" I promise big surprises.


Seriously.

-KV

No comments:

Blog Directory - Blogged