Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Old School Time: Baseball Stars on the NES


In the introduction it appears this will be the start of a series of writings about Nintendo games. I believe this is what some refer to as "good intentions," and others "foolish proclamations." Who knows, it could still happen...?? -KV

BASEBALL STARS

Klaus Varley

(This is the first piece in a series of writings dedicated to Nintendo games we loved and cherished in our youth, and dominate today. The games that so eagerly took away those “precious” moments between the ages of 8 and...20? Okay, 5 and 29. Damn. I knew there's a reason I don’t use integers.)

Needless to say, that without the countless hours frivoled away in front of a viewing screen day after day, year after year, we would all be geniuses by now. (Geniusi? - The prosecution rests.) I've ponder how my life would be different had I enthusiastically dedicated two to three hours per day - including weekends and especially on Sundays - to a practical hobby. Had these hours gone to guitar, I would not be writing this late on a Friday night, instead rapping up the post-gig party after my set at the Hollywood Bowl. Romeo Blue opened for me, and though he was solid, he should drop that pseudonym. Your real name ain't bad, kid.

If not guitar, something, anything, would have filled the video-game void and given me an admirable trait: one I could flash like a badge to the bouncers of the coolest clubs; one to boast about on Internet dating sites; one that would make me very, very wealthy – or at least emotionally stable.

Or would it?

The point is, Baseball Stars is a great game. Let me explain.

The history of Baseball Stars is…something…I have neither the time nor the patience to explain. (Nor do I know the history nor where to research it – nor how to use “nor” properly. Yes, I tried the Internet, but you’d be surprised at all the things you CAN’T find on the Internet: namely, the history of Baseball Stars. If it were the history of pom-pom girls, that would be a different story and on a different site. Although that article would probably better suit a site called “The Literary Brothel” than an article about a rustic video game.)

Historically ambiguous, the game works as follows: Create your own team, naming the fellers one by one and battle the established crews thematically crafted by the brilliant programmers at SNK. And then you…play other teams. That’s about it. Make team; play other teams. You can also buy replacement athletes from an infinite pool of athletes that at age thirteen I christened, “The Amazing Abyss of Wannabe Stars,” but now just call the pool of players. How we lose our imagination in our age.

Or do we?

To this day I start by creating a team of my closest friends with some shred of athleticism. I’m the coach of course. I’m always the coach. “Klaus” used to be on the team, but if Klaus were too good, Klaus would feel guilty and want to take the virtual Klaus aside to say, “Look man, you're in with the team creator, so don’t go showing off. The other players might resent you. Stop kicking so much butt, this is a team sport.” So, I reside to work my magic behind the scenes. The jealousy and inner-group conflict of that digital butt kisser “Klaus” is assuaged. No one gets crucified on my watch. Not even virtually.

Yet at the end of the day, it’s about friends. Sit down and imagine them together, on the field – having the time of their lives. Friends I see once a day to friends I see once a year, all on-screen as two dimensional, blobby white guys, even if in reality they are not white, or guys (or two dimensional). I tell Perhach to dive and he dives. Frooz turns two like a champ, and Yee…Yee!!? Yee keeps popping out! Dammit Yee, we’re a line drive team! Quit going for the fences!

When the only resemblance are the names, it takes a little imagination. In the end though, I’m playing a game with my old friends.

All except Yee. He’s off the squad. Better luck next year, kid.


-KV

No comments:

Blog Directory - Blogged