Friday, August 8, 2008

Winners of the First Annual Literary Brothel Poetry Contest!


Thanks to everyone who sent us a poem (or 5). Some great stuff. It was a tough choice, blah blah blah, here are the winners! (It seriously was a tough choice.)

WINNER - Time Capsule by Michael Shorb

TIME
CAPSULE

It had something to do
with global warming
anyway sand-
storms covered
badlands of northern
California somehow leaving
one of my poems as
a marker in time
excavated years later
it provided a contrast
to the official national
capsule back east.

Fortunately the buried poem
was quite an epic
anthropologists hefted out
so many crates of evidence
they resembled a line of
army ants.

We fared much better
than empires represented
by shards of pottery alone.

The crates ran from A
for Apple iPod to
Z for Zoroastrian creation myths.

It was all there:

why we lived

what we meant

that sort of thing.

---


RUNNER UP - Mommy Syphilis by Sarah Haas

Mommy Syphilis

A morning wet

Still dreaming

Salty and green

A sailor’s promise

Years gone by

Still linger

In the sea foam

Of her eyes

Tides come in

And wait

To wash me out again

In the holding time

Between twenty-five years

Gone by

And another morning rise

The spirit

She once took seriously

Winks at me

Before she dissolves

Into the walls

Leaving the pitiful woman

Who once

Knew how to love

Magnificently

Cursing her name

Mommy hangs

between

The false veins and arteries

Of I.V.s

Like a piece of moon bone

Fallen from the sky

Grated to dust

By the window screen

Laid wide

Across the musty arms

Of a wooden chair

Rocking back and forth

Singing

I got a rose bud

Stuck in the back of my throat

Come round

Close ya hear

And pull it out

My fingers stumble

Through the room

Catch cobwebs

And broken tresses

Of her hair

Collide

With jaundice

Dyed

Skin

Draped across

The iron cage

Where a heart still

Flutters

With feathered rage

Hoping

The seaman

Will come back

To sing

The song

She drown in

The inside corridors of my ear

Fall close enough

To feel

Her November air

She smiles

Thinking I am death

No, not today my dear

She coughs and hacks

And tries to laugh

As nails drive

Into my wrists

Pinned

I cannot catch

The scarlet phlegm

That blossoms

A bouquet

In the nape of her neck

You always were

A worthless girl

She says

I adjust the quilted flee-mat

Across her lap

“Glad to hear

You still have breath”

I make sure there is water near

And wipe down her chest

See you tomorrow

I’ll come back

And braid your hair

She tells me

The sailor will return

And take her forever

Away from here

The door

Closes her inside

Her haunted shrine

And all the neighbors can hear

Her shout about

The careless woman ‘

I turned out

I close my eyes

And take a breath

Was it the spirit that lied?

Did mom hear somewhere

That she was born

For him

I thought she was mine

I guess

We both lost out

But I will never leave

I will never set her free

Let her go

So I come back

And watch her decompose

Years ago

I cried

But now I just wait

Until darkness bends

Around

Each corner

Of her tomb

And listen to her shout

As if she were underground

Waiting outside her bedroom

I huddle by the door

For her to shrink away

Maybe she will disappear

But I wait

To hear

The tiny word –

Stay

Because I know

Secretly

She says it to me

When she thinks

I have finally

Left her there

---



HONORABLE MENTION - Freckles by Yuko Sawatani


FRECKLES

My new bikini will take me to a beach.

The beach, brings me instant satisfaction

and permanent torture.

Here, I am home and you follow me in disguise.

Slowly and silently, you start to sizzle my skin.

Like a hot stone when you put water on it.

My back, my legs, my face…..

I know it's not enough. I know you won't let me go.

Now you show yourself.

You are an enemy of my life

of all girls.

I have spilled inks on my face and they are spread out.

Wipe, erase, and bleach - nothing works.

There is no way
but to live with you forever.

---

Thanks again for all the submissions, and to guest judges Brian Lee and L____L___. Please check back next month for more contests! Poetry, prose, and more...

No comments:

Blog Directory - Blogged