Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Grammar vs Grammer - Confusing Words Part I


GRAMMAR VS GRAMMER
by Klaus Varley

There are a number of common words in the English language that I am not one hundred percent certain how to spell, and continue to find the need to look up. Some of these words I've looked up before. I've highlighted others, put a check by a few, starred a couple, and even tattooed one on my arm.

If you ever need to know how to spell tattooed, just ask.

But I'm not writing this to talk about fake tattoos. This is about grammar. Not my grammar, but the word "grammar." Perhaps I should have put that first "grammar" in quotes.

Again, this is not about "my grammar," but about the word. And how it is misspelled.

I misspell it all the time. However, a program called "spell-checker" conveniently underlines all errant words I type into any program, including this one. (In this paragraph alone, I've misspelled "misspell" and "spell-checker.") Without the aid of spell-checker, my writings would be dismissed as the ramblings of a sixth-grader. Or praised as the advanced writings of a fifth-grader. It really depends on the teacher.

Let's get back to "grammar" for a moment. The reason for the comparison between "misspell" and "grammar" is because when you misspell either word, it is so ironic, it is humorous. You're talking about grammar but misspelling it? Ha! You're correcting someone's misspelled word, but you misspelled "misspelled?" Oh, that's a belly laugh!

Get it?

Good.

I'm off to do something productive and/or write an addendum or two. Be careful with "grammar" and try not to misspell "misspell." Seriously.

-KV

First Addendum: Next up on Confusing Words "Misspell vs Mispell" and how it compares to "Grammar vs Grammer."

Second Addendum: "Spell-checker vs Spellchecker" will follow, taking these pieces in an entirely new direction. Seriously.

4 comments:

Carrie M said...

We recently got a comment from a reviewer that a manuscript needed "serios" editing.

And oh, how we laughed! Chuckle, chuckle.

Klaus Varley said...

Oh, the humor in a misplaced word!

Klaus Varley said...

Or misspelled word!

Anonymous said...

Beware the typeo!

Blog Directory - Blogged