Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A Letter from Gambit to his Fans

A Letter from Gambit to his Fans
Langdon Auger


Bonjour,

Hello. It's me, Gambit, the Cajun mutant from the popular comic book series
X-Men and I'm here to ask you to please stop requesting your favorite characters in movies.

For three X-Men movies you guys sent in loads of letters to Fox asking for me, and they finally broke down and gave me a worthless role in the recent film Wolverine. Are you happy now? You got a weak, half formed character to mollify the most vocal of online critics without having the character anchored in any meaningful way to the storyline. I literally could have been any
character in the Marvel universe. You asked for me, they gave me to you, and now I have been wasted. You won't be seeing me anymore. I won't be in any sequels and it would be awkward to give me my own movie (Just ask that Deadpool guy).

Remember when you guys did this with Venom in the third Spider-Man movie? The same thing happened. Cool villain given fifteen minutes of screen time then criminally wasted because some suits don't understand that a character is only interesting when they are put into the context of a plot where their turmoil is interesting and relevant to the story at hand.

All the people who make movies want to make money, and all of the fan boys blustering for their favorite characters convince them they need to throw as many characters into a movie as they can. Wouldn't you rather have a Venom/ Gambit/ Mr. Freeze/ Poison Ivy/ Bane/ Silver Surfer/ Juggernaut/ Dark Phoenix/ Kitty Pryde/ Colossus/ Blob/ Deadpool/ White Queen/ Sandman character that you could care about? Is it really so important to see your favorite character in a movie that you want them to be thrown into a lousy ensemble cast with little to no background or relevance?

Please, stop asking for your favorite characters. I am asking you this favor on behalf of all of us neglected super heroes who were thrown to the wolves on lousy sequels, and on behalf of whatever villain is being lined up for the next Batman installment. Just because you like me, and I do thank my fans for making me a successful character, doesn't mean I should be in every movie.

Cordialement,

Gambit

No comments:

Blog Directory - Blogged