Monday, May 4, 2009

Land of the Lost Review


Land of the Lost Review

Langdon Auger

Tonight Horace and I attended a sneak preview of the new Will Ferrell movie Land of the Lost. Despite unfinished special effects and soundtrack this movie was quite entertaining. Will Ferrell is able to do his shtick and this time he is joined by relative newcomer Danny McBride. (If you haven't seen his debut film The Footfist Way, rent it.)

Together the two bring a bit of fun to a horrible, fan-boy-infested show. There is something having to do with Sleestaks and some chimp thing named Chaka that gets old fast, but before you know it, Ferrell is running around in his underwear and having a good time. But I'm not quite sure what sport he was trying to spoof in this movie.

This was the first time I participated in a sneak preview where they take reviews. Horace and I were asked to stay behind and have a discussion of the film with about twenty other people. I follow films in production as a hobby and I know that this is the part where good movies get turned mediocre, so it was a little exciting to be there for it.

Sure enough they start asking questions and people start saying the best scenes were their least favorite. For instance, there was one scene where Anna Friel's character is misinterpreting Chaka's ape language and says he was expelled from his tribe for raping an apple. Turns out that wasn't the correct interpretation.

A girl at the screening says they shouldn't be making jokes like that in a movie and that rape is not something to be made fun of. First of all, as if it needed to be said, rape is absolutely wrong. Second of all, but he didn't actually rape anything. Third, it's funny scene because it is a rape of an apple. This is a victimless crime if i ever saw one. I doubt that the apple was really capable of resisting in the first place, or feeling one way or the other about the whole ordeal. And as for the blanket statement that something shouldn't be made fun of, well:

"I can prove to you rape is funny. Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd."- George Carlin

Then another woman chimed in and said how she shows the original television series to her fourth grade class and doesn't feel comfortable having them come to a movie with so much swearing and sexual innuendo.

Let's get something straight: kids are idiots and parents are panicky stupid morons (see Horace's post on a scary Duracell commercial). This is the reason why cool toys are taken off the shelf when some dope chokes himself. This is the reason we have zero tolerance policies in school that result in the valedictorian not graduating on time because of an aspirin in her purse. And finally (and most importantly) this is the reason we got rid of the dark Tim Burton Batmans and had to endure the cinematic fiasco of Joel Schumacher's technicolor cape and cowl. But Warner Brothers smarted up, told the four year olds and parents to go screw, put Christopher Nolan in charge, and made a Batman movie that was worth seeing.

But I digress. To be in a screening where this issue comes up was astonishing because I have seen so many movies with great potential crippled by an insistence on PG-13 ratings and family friendly fare. It would be so much better to make a more risky movie with sharp humor. The film will be more honest and true, and whatever box office you lose out on because of the children you will make up for in rentals when those kids get old enough to rent the movie on their own. Why is it that so many people still watch Animal House? Because they made their jokes and didn't apologize for it. Not that Land of the Lost is as good as Animal House, I'm just using it as an example.

But movie execs don't think this way, so i am dreading seeing the final product when it comes out on June 5th. Will it have the adult humor or will it be a bland, neutered piece designed to appeal to the largest and least specific market possible? I'm afraid I know the answer already.

-LA

13 comments:

Melissa C. Banczak said...

boy did you say it! I agree. I hate seeing watered down drivel. That show friends tons of sex in it and it was on at 7pm. and I bet that silly lady let her kids watch it.

I will keep my fingers crossed that the movie will speak to the adult in me!
thanks
Melissa

Anonymous said...

What a refreshing review. You hit the nail right on the head. I have always said that about Spielberg. He ruined every movie he made after Jaws because he was so greedy. The preview of this film looks hilarious. I hope they listen to people like you and sacrifice a few bucks up front for some good laughs.

Anonymous said...

That was a nice review but you glossed over a few things. First, Land of the Lost was a children's show, so any discussion of rape or inclusion of sexual themes has no business here. As Melissa put it, she's looking for this film to 'speak to the adult in her'. Why does this always have to include sexual themes. Don't get me wrong, I'm no prude. Resorting to T & A or sexually explicit language/jokes is a crutch when the writer runs out of creativity. The movie can appeal to adults and children without having to imply that Cha-Ka rapes vegetation.

Second, and more obvious is the fact that this movie is less about the original series and more about being yet another comedy 'vehicle' for Will Ferrell to act like his usual jackass self. There was a time when he was funny but now it's kind of sad. Seeing the same, lame one-trick-pony act over and over again is getting old.

Klaus Varley said...

What's with all the anonymous posts? Doesn't anyone have a name anymore?

I disagree with Anonymous #2 (less anonymous now that I've named you, eh?). Resorting to explicit language or T&A material CAN be a crutch, but can also be funny. It's joke specific. Maybe I'll post about this, not-so-anonymously...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, only stupid little kids don't think rape and shit jokes are what will make this cinematic turd shine. I'm sure the families bringing their kids to this will bust a gut at all the sex and dinosaur jokes. Cus people are stupid if they don't laugh at stupid shit.

I suggest youtube to keep yourself in the infantile hysterics you need to feel whole. Marty Kroft should be embarrassed by this film and Will Ferrell needs to stop making movies. This film is child abuse. Or human abuse actually. Made by morons for morons.

Klaus Varley said...

Wtf Anonymous #3? That was harsh...sort of. I got confused - are you saying audiences are smart and DON'T laugh as "stupid shit" or they are dumb and too often do? What do you hate??? Raaaaarrrrrr!

And for god sakes, pick a name. If not, I'm going to start calling you Amber. Because I like that name.

Mike said...

When I first heard about this movie, I had high hopes...until I discovered who was writing and starring in it. LOTL was never about comedy. If that's all Ferrell is capable of, then maybe he should have stayed away from the property in the first place. I'll admit that I warmed up to it a bit after the trailers and after I found out how Silberling tried to stay true to the series. However, the more I hear about dinosaur urine, Sleestak sex, and Pakuni groping, the more I'm convinced that the film should have stayed in Disney's hands and turned into a family adventure film true to its roots. Juvenile humor has no place in LOTL or in a film aimed at adults. I'd rather the comedy flow from situations naturally rather than forcing it for the sake of a cheap laugh. The writers ripped out the hearts of the characters and replaced them with weak stereotypical gags that have all the subtlety and maturity of a whoopie cushion. If that's what passes for humor these days, then comedy is most assuredly dead. -Mike

Mike said...

Or maybe I should have said "extinct".

Klaus Varley said...

"Dead" is fine.

But I see why you'd want to put "extinct" in there.

But it's funnier that you didn't, and then wrote, "Or maybe I should have said 'extinct.'

It's like an organic joke, or something.

Anonymous said...

Klaus,

You're right. Some of that risqué stuff can be funny. Considering the source material for this film I don't think it was necessary. Besides that Will Ferrell is not funny anymore. It's like he's trying too hard or having to force-feed us; "Hey look at me, I'm the bumbling, lovable jackass."

Anonymous #2

Klaus Varley said...

A-2

You could be right. Talladega was good though...maybe because the supporting cast was so strong... hmmm... is Ferrell's career kaput? Discuss!

Horace Worblehat said...

Fan boys, those with children and those who post anonymously are generally suspect to me. Fan boys are stuck in the past and are unable to separate love of a film as a child from making a nuanced critical judgement as an adult.

People with children actually are genetically inferior than those without due to their passing their superior genes to their children.

Anonymous= cowardly.

Anonymous said...

Horace,

How do we in fact know that is even your real name? How do we know anyone who has posted with a 'name' here is using their real name? It doesn't matter. I don't need to post my name to have an opinion anymore than anyone else needs to post their names to express their thoughts.

You and I will likely never meet so knowing who I am, or me knowing who you are is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Yes, I enjoyed LoTL as a kid. I am also able to enjoy it as an adult (cheesy special effects and all). The film misses the mark. Considering how badly it bombed and quickly swept out of the theaters I stand by my opinion.

Last but not least, having children does not diminish your genes. You may question my anonymity but that statement makes me just question your intelligence.

A-2

Blog Directory - Blogged