Saturday, June 21, 2008

Glasgow, Sydney and Other Foreign Cities in Montana


I'm actually at a wedding right now at the Four Seasons Hotel in San Francisco with my girlfriend, but through magic (adjusting the "posting time and date") I'm able to write this rant about Montana, in order to attract visitors from the state to The Literary Brothel. I just did this for Nevada. I'm going to be doing this for every state until we get visitors from all 50 states. Maybe I need to post about it. (or maybe I just did?) -KV


GLASGOW, SYDNEY AND OTHER FOREIGN CITIES IN MONTANA (WITHOUT NOTABLE RESIDENTS)
by Klaus Varley

At least when they founded "York" in the Americas, they had the common sense to put a "New" before it.

Not so in Montana (and other states of course, most famously Athens, Georgia).

Sydney, Montana has about five thousand people, and was founded back in the 19th century, according to Wikipedia. I'm not going to link the article because it's not worth the read. (ie: there is no mention of why the town was named "Sydney.") Let's just say, it's a small-ass town in NE Montana that doesn't have the pride to update it's Wikipedia entry.

Which leads me to check out my hometown of Atwater's Wikipedia entry, and ho! A picture of the water tower! Very nice. Let's see what else...hospitals, schools...and a list of "notable residents." Ha ha, eat THAT Sydney, Montana, we got the girl who played Newt in Alien AND a silver medalist.

Ok, so it turns out I grew up with two of the five "notable residents." Newt was friends with my sister in junior high, and I knew Jamill - who won the silver medal in 2004 - back in high school. We share exactly the same birthday. You don't forget people like that. Especially if they then go on to win a silver medal.

Man, I'm so far off topic now, there's no getting back. We'll have settle this another time. Glasgow, you got off easy.

-KV

No comments:

Blog Directory - Blogged