Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Klaus Varley Interview: Brain Transplant Journal


Lest Charlie be the only one at The Brothel doing interviews, Klaus weighs in with some questions of his own for Laura of Brain Transplant Journal. She also sent some questions to Klaus. Read his responses HERE.


THE BRAIN TRANSPLANT JOURNAL INTERVIEW


Questions by Klaus Varley
Answers by Laura of Brain Transplant Journal

1. Where did you get the name of your journal?

Although I am generally not a board game ("Bored" game) person, I was playing Balderdash with some friends, and one of the questions was: “What does JBT stand for?" My friend (Alex, of Literary Brothel “Anonymous Weighs In” fame) wrote down "Journal of Brain Transplants." I laughed and laughed, as that was completely preposterous. A couple weeks later, I was at work with nothing to do, so I decided to start a second, general-interest blog. It seemed like the perfect name. And thus, Brain Transplant Journal was born.


2. In 1000 years from now when Brain Transplants ARE possible and the premier publication covering this cutting-edge procedure wishes to buy your domain, what do you think your descendants will do?

Unfortunately, they will probably sell it for $1 billion dollars. But you never know, maybe my descendants will be little artistes like me, and by that time it will have a universal (instead of just national) following. In which case, not only will they will be sentimentally attached to it, but it will be such an online bastion of thought-provoking hilarity that they would never dream of selling it. But then again, maybe they will just want the money.


3. What's the BEST thing about blogging?

It keeps me busy at work. Plus, now, I have all kinds of cool friends, such as yourself, whom I’ve never actually met. That way, no matter where I go on vacation, I will have someone to show me around. Aren’t you glad you started communicating with me?

Also, it is a great way to get in other people’s business.


4. In less than a hundred words, please explain the Brain Transplant Journal's role in the "blog revolution" in the early twenty-first century, or at least the role you think historians will portray the Brain Transplant's role in the middle class electronic discourse known as "the blogging phenomena of the early 21st century."

Brain Transplant Journal is a prime example early 21st century late-20- and early-30-somethings keeping themselves entertained while at work. Covertly conversing with friends, all the while appearing hard at work. It’s part diary, part social networking, part shameless self-promotion, but 100% fun. BTJ is an excellent example of the amalgamation of mixed sources of information so prevalent during that time: first person perspective, clips from “official” sources, and clips and references to other cohort’s journals, such as the Literary Brothel.


5. A lot of people blame Nader for the 2000 election, but can we blame Oregon instead?

No, I don’t think so. Blame a rigged election.
Nader didn’t help though. Don’t blame me, I voted for Gore.


6. Name five cool things to do in Portland.

1. Hiking in one of the largest urban greenspaces within the U.S.
2. City-wide pillow fights
3. Mmm...lots of good restaurants and bars. Coffee, beer, Le Pigeon, Clyde Common.
4. Even though there are over a million people here, it's fun to discover that someone you just met happens to know someone you already know. It always seems to happen.
5. Watching "Indiana Jones" in the summer at an outdoor showing in the middle of downtown at Pioneer Square. Sitting on cement for 2 hours makes your butt hurt though.

(edited for length, but Laura miraculously came up with six more things...)

Oops, that was 11 cool things to do. Damn, maybe Portland is too much fun!


7. Just kidding! Finding ONE cool thing to do in Portland is difficult enough. Just list some things that people "do."

Dearest Klausy, clearly, you have not been to Portland…yet. But you will. Everyone does. And once they visit, they don’t usually leave.


8. Why is Gus Van Sant so popular?

Because he lives across the street from my office, and I often see him at lunch, duh. And I saw him DJ at Saucebox's We're Not DJs series. He played "I'm Gonna Wash that Man Right Outta My Hair." Also, my friend worked with him on "Elephant." And he went to high school with my best friend's parents. Basically, he's cool because he's only two degrees separated from me.


9. What do you think will be better for the country: Obama's first term, or Obama's second term?

His first term will be better in that he will clean up all the horrendous messes that the current so-called president made, but we’re going to have to wait until second term for all the really exciting innovations to take place, and hopefully for the U.S. to regain its reputation, which is presently laughable.


10 . Is that ten yet? Man, you shouldn't proclaim to do something in the beginning of your article before you actually do it... .... ...agree?

Agree.


-TLB

No comments:

Blog Directory - Blogged