Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Waking Up with a Song in Your Head

According to a recent poll (The Literary Brothel, 2008) most people do NOT wake up with a song in their head. Not even "sometimes."

The poll came about due to a comment from Hans Zimmer at UCLA. Zimmer always woke with some tune in his head, and when he started mentioning it to people, he was surprised to learn that most people do not share this eccentricity.

Until that moment, I had no idea it was an eccentricity. I always wake up with some song or some tune banging around in my mind. (Today it was Eternal Flame. Yes, that's The Bangles....I didn't say it was always a "good" song.") Apparently, not everybody does. Strange.

It's like finding out that you have three nipples.

Okay, not exactly.

But it's still strange.

-KV

(Yes, that's the ending. I'm writing this midday - thank you timestamp! - and by now the Bangles have faded. I was going to rant about the catchiness of 80s music and how it was killed by the Pixies and grunge, but instead...close your eyes. Give me your hand, darling...the Bangles are back! Eh, this piece is done.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i always wake up with a song stuck in my head. and i cant ever figure out why its that song. it seems very random. just thought id tell you that your not the only one.

Klaus Varley said...

thanks.

and btw: there is always a reason for the song.

For example, the other day I awoke with "Jingle Bell Rock" swimming around between my ears.

That's because it rocks.

Blog Directory - Blogged